Spicy Split Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
Makes8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 to 5 medium Anaheim peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped or 2 to 3 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a Dutch oven, combine the peas, water, ham bone and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour longer. Remove ham bone and cut meat from bone. Return to the soup and heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 215 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 13g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 5, 2012
Every time I make a ham, my husband requests this pea soup! It is wonderful and I have made it many, many times! Yum!
Dec 21, 2008
Great! The best pea soup recipe I have found! I use sodium free bouillon as the ham adds enough salt. I also use 3 cans of green chilies.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.