English Pub Split Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1-1/3 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer
- 1 tablespoon prepared English mustard
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place ham bone in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add peas, celery, carrot and onion. Combine water, beer and mustard; pour over vegetables. Cook, covered, on high 5-6 hours or until peas are tender.
- Remove ham bone from soup. Cool slightly, trim away fat and remove meat from bone; discard fat and bone. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, top with minced parsley.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 141 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Jan 2, 2020
I use a smoked or roasted ham hock and/or one pound cubed ham. Peter
Nov 28, 2019
Shamrock, English mustard is supposed to be more pungent and tangy than American mustard.
Nov 16, 2019
Excellent as written. I used more carrots only because I like them. Also used chicken stock I had on hand instead of water. Turned out beautifully. My crew wants lots of garlic next time. To RNshamrock, Coleman's mustard is a popular brand sold here in the US. Even Wal-Mart sells it. https://colmansusa.com/ A substitute could be Dijon mustard.
Oct 6, 2019
I have not seen English Mustard either. How is different and what would be a substitute?
Oct 14, 2018
Upon sitting overnight in the fridge this soup became nice and thick and hearty. A wonderful soup!