Kielbasa Split Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook celery and onion until tender. Stir in split peas and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the kielbasa, carrots, potatoes, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and remaining water. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until peas and vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 11g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Oct 18, 2015
Delicious! The only thing I did differently was I chopped up the carrots and celery instead of slicing them.
Feb 14, 2015
This is truly comfort food. It's rich, creamy taste is excellent with crusty French bread. It is great for cold weather, but we love it anytime.
Apr 10, 2014
This soup was very good.
Apr 12, 2013
I added a pint of heavy whipping cream at the end and served with corn bread.
Feb 4, 2012
It is very tasty but this way of cooking is not great because why do we need cook celery and onion not with another weg.? It is easly tp cook together with carrots ets and onion and celery will not be so mashy. I cooked the peas little bit with salt till partly cooked then I have added everything at once.
Jan 22, 2012
Nice twist to pea soup. worked great and very easy.
Nov 1, 2011
Very delicious soup.
Aug 10, 2011
Typical pea soup haters, my kids and I all love this recipe. It's great when you have just a handful of carrots, celery, and potatoes leftover.
Apr 21, 2011
I was shocked at how much my kids liked this. The kielbasa makes it a family friendly pea soup.
Oct 16, 2010
I made your recipe today and thought it was great. This is the best Kielbasa Split Pea Soup I've ever had...thank you for sharing