Curried Ham & Split Pea Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and curry powder; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until peas are tender. Stir before serving.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 288 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 16g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 12, 2014
Loved how easy this recipe was, but I cooked it too long in the Crockpot so it got really thick. I just added more beef broth until it reached my desired consistency. The whole family enjoyed it, even the toddler! Not spicy at all!
Jan 3, 2014
very easy and good!