Split Pea Soup with Bacon & Crab
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 8 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 1 pound)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cartons (26 ounces each) chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups lump crabmeat
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to bacon drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in split peas, ham hocks, bay leaves and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until split peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves; remove ham hocks from soup. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into small cubes; discard bones.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan.
- Stir cream, salt, pepper and cubed ham into soup; heat through. In a small bowl, toss crab with bacon; serve with soup. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup without toppings in freezer containers; freeze cooked bacon in a small resealable freezer bag. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat soup through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally, adding a little stock or broth if necessary. Top servings as directed.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups with about 3 tablespoons crab mixture: 533 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1036mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 20g fiber), 32g protein.
Mar 31, 2018
I served this to a large crowd of picky eaters, but I did receive several compliments. The addition of crab was a nice twist to the usual split pea soup. I didn't used a blender but wish I would have for more consistency and smoother texture. I am freezing the last two cups of the leftovers as described in the recipe.
Sep 8, 2014
This was the best soup I have ever made. ! Very deep and rich. ! Wonderful. Will pass this one around to all of my soup loving friends. !!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.