Split Pea Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes4 servings (4 cups) per batch
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried yellow split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pearl barley
- 1 package (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
- 1 jar (1/2 ounce) dried celery flakes
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, optional
- Combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to airtight containers, or divide equally among 13 plastic bags. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare soup: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup soup mix with broth, pepper and, if desired, cubed chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until peas and lentils are tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 158 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2017
ready to make 60 of these with a friend BUT wondering how to do the spices? How do we measure the celery and parsley flakes? bummer
Oct 1, 2014
Has anyone had very good luck putting everything in the pot at once? I have a package of something very similar: by the time the lentils, peas, and barley are done the pasta (and rice in the store-bought mix) are mush. I'm thinking you really have to package the items requiring longer cooking times together, which would help with rinsing. Cook those for 45-60 minutes before adding anything else. This mix can also be improved by adding dried vegetables.
Dec 13, 2012
The peas need to be rinsed and sorted prior to cooking. How do you handle this if all ingredients are combined together for giving.
Dec 9, 2009
I added 1 cup more water to the mix when I made it. Delicious and very filling!