Yellow Split Pea Soup
"This is a great new twist on traditional pea soup," remarks Lynn Jurss of Thousand Oaks, California. "It tastes wonderful and has a sunny yellow color."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, cumin and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 4-5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and pistachios.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 374 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Yellow Split Pea Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.