Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in sausage, soup, sauerkraut, 2 cups cheese, milk, onions, mustard and garlic.
- Spoon into 2 greased 8-in. square baking dishes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and bubbly, 45-50 minutes.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and bubbly, 50-55 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 428 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1193mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 27, 2020
Cooked This. everyone thought it was salty, No one liked it. unwilling to eat as leftovers. Threw it all in the trash.
Jan 21, 2020
This is a family favorite. All 5 of my children love it and my husband requests it all the time!
Jan 16, 2020
I really wish I could tell you what I was thinking when I decided this would be a good recipe to try, but I can't recall... I followed the recipe... mixed everything together and nearly threw up. It did not make it to the oven, everything went into the trash, what a waste.
Jan 13, 2020
Bland, bland, bland. If the saurkraut had been rinsed, there would have been no taste at all. Needs a lot of work but not sure where to start. This recipe is headed for the trash along with most of the casserole. Very disappointing.
Jan 1, 2020
Dec 31, 2019
Very good casserole. 4 cups of pasta is approximately 12 oz. I used farfalle (bow tie) pasta. Didn't have green onions so used onion powder. I didn't rinse the sauerkraut and there was a distinct taste which I liked. I will be saving this recipe and make it often.
Dec 30, 2019
Have been making this for years. We absolutely love it. Not the healthiest, but so worth it a couple times a year. I don't and never have rinsed sauerkraut. Why would anyone do that? Otherwise followed recipe as is
Dec 30, 2019
My husband liked it, didn't rinse sauerkraut but I did drain it thoroughly, another poster made sense when she said to rinse it would be like cooked cabbage, I also halved everything we do not care for thawed leftovers just a peccadillo of ours.......
Dec 29, 2019
Nov 10, 2019
judith why would you give a review if you haven't tried it don't waste our time .....The recipe was great