Potato Kielbasa Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound red potatoes (3-4 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave, covered, on high until potatoes are tender, 3-4 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, thyme and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and kielbasa until onion is tender.
- Add potatoes; cook and stir until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach until wilted. Stir in bacon.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 472 calories, 31g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 6, 2019
This has become a family favorite! The only adjustments that were made was to use some of the bacon drippings in place of the olive oil and to double the sauce.
Nov 16, 2019
I genuinely can't recommend this recipe enough. It's something my mom used to make as I was growing up, and now as an adult it is one that I make at least a couple times a month. If I don't know what to make, it's my go-to recipe. It's quick and easy to make, extremely flavorful, fairly healthy and balanced, and filling without any side dishes. I have a hard time believing someone WOULDN'T like it.
Nov 14, 2019
I have made this many, many times. Sometimes I substitute chopped cabbage for the spinach if I don't have fresh spinach on hand.
Sep 6, 2019
I have made this numerous times. it is a family favorite now. I also add some shredded parm cheese at the end. Love this
Sep 4, 2019
My husband said it was okay, but didn’t ask that I make it again. I liked the potatoes, but other than that I didn’t care for the dish.
Aug 24, 2019
This has become a family favorite. I use a whole onion and no bacon, hubby and Dad love it.
Aug 17, 2019
My husband said, "Wow! You can make this anytime!" Loved the flavor and it was easy to put together. The sauce is a perfect combination!
Jul 12, 2019
We did not like this at all. In fact, we thought it was quite horrible.
Jun 20, 2019
Enjoyed this quick cooking skillet supper. I threw in chopped tri-color peppers and some garlic and omitted the bacon. Diced the kielbasa so it was dispursed more into the vegetable mix. Sauce was delicious. Will make again.
Jun 15, 2019
I followed the recipe exactly and made no changes. I was a little leery about the brown sugar but actually it gave it a nice but not overpowering flavor. It went together quickly and we loved it. I can see us having this again. A definite 5-star recipe in my book! Volunteer Field Editor