German Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 8 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the potatoes, bacon, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and reserved bacon drippings; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Divide half of the mixture between one greased 13x9-in. baking dish and one 9-in. square baking dish. Top with half of the cheese cubes. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 355 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 23, 2015
I have used this recipe twice for Octoberfest parties. Very good! Plan to make it again this year. I use cheddar cheese only, not Velveeta.
Jul 9, 2010
We are from San Antonio which has a lot of German influance in and around surrounding areas. Was given this recipe a few years ago and tried it out for Thanksgiving. It was a hit. Needles to say I had lost the recipe and hubby was asking for me to cook it. So TG I found it here. Printing and saving. Never losing again. Absolute keeper.
Sep 4, 2009
If this recipe is to large just cut it in half. It is easy to do!
Sep 4, 2009
Why are all of these recipes for such large quantity?