Easy German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 40 min. + cooling
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 12 medium), peeled
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a stock pot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes; cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes into slices. Place in a large bowl. Stir in bacon, onion and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients until blended; pour over salad and toss gently to coat. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 147 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 14, 2019
Great recipe. Even in Germany, there are lots of variations on German potato salad. Just ad we have many different recipes here for American potato salad.
Jan 26, 2019
I used Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute and Spike in place of salt and pepper. I also used apple cider vinegar. Traditional German potato salad does frequently include apples. I think my version has more flavor. Oh and I also used extra virgin olive oil in place of canola oil. great recipe to start, but you do need to enhance and experiment with more ingredients. Don't be shy. It would be almost impossible to go wrong with this whatever you do.
Jan 22, 2019
I have a genuine deli recipe from Germany. This recipe is missing some key ingredients, such as sugar and mustard seeds. Our recipe also is baked in the oven so the potatoes get the full flavor. I will pass if you don't know what it should really taste like.