Baked German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 12 medium red potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes until just tender; drain. Peel and slice into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, vinegar, pickle juice, parsley, salt and celery seed. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Add bacon; gently stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 284 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
May 3, 2018
A great change from the usual potato salad, reminds me of one my mother used to make. This was a nice side dish to the pork chops I grilled for dinner. A definite keeper!
Aug 5, 2017
Baking this gives it a different taste than our usual German Potato Salad. We found it very good, but it does require extra time.
Oct 16, 2016
I should have cooked potatoes longer. This recipe does have a nice flavor.
May 13, 2015
This was very good. Nice combo of flavors. Got requests for the recipe. B
Aug 9, 2014
Pretty tasty. A change from traditional mayo based potato salad.Liked the bacon addition.
Jun 8, 2014
I loved this and that it is served warm or room temp is great - it was so good and loved the pickle juice - awesome
Jun 30, 2013
Took this to a potluck where it was a hit. One of my friends said his German part was very happy. For me I will cut back on the sugar a little next time but it was great. No problem doing it in a crock pot.
Jun 7, 2013
This was pretty tasty! Loved the bacon.
May 27, 2013
Very good. The sweet pickle juice really works well in this recipe.
May 21, 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.