Hot German Potato Salad for Two
Jennie Voigt of Marathon, Wisconsin deliciously downsizes a favorite picnic salad for this quick-to-fix dish.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 medium red potatoes, halved
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute the onion until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper until blended. Gradually add water, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the potatoes and bacon; stir gently. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 245 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Hot German Potato Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006