Make Ahead German Potato Salad
Relate Jesse and Anne Foust from Bluefield, West Virginia, "We like to make this chunky salad the day before to let the flavors mellow."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and green pepper until tender. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Add soda and vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil and stir for 1 minute. Gently stir in potatoes and bacon; heat through.