Mama’s Warm German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 18-21 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Peel and thinly slice. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Add remaining ingredients; toss to combine. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Oct 26, 2019
Found this recipe last year and a favorite. Lighter and easier than old German recipes, yes I'm from Wis. I pare potatoes, slice and boil til just barely tender, drain and mix with ingredients. Much easier. PS: Bacon is a definite ! and just as good cold.
Oct 20, 2019
My grandparents were German. No celery, cuc or oil. potatoes, onion, crumbled bacon with a vinegar and bacon drippings for dressing. Always served warm.
Jun 10, 2018
This is so delicious. The slices cucumbers were a delicious addition. It's even good cold.
May 30, 2017
We had this for Memorial Day and it was delicious.