Mama’s Warm German Potato Salad
My grandmother, Mama, made this potato salad for every family gathering at her home. The relatives would arrive with their specialties in hand. She never wrote the recipe down, so I had to re-create it from memory. Years later, it's just about right. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 English cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 18-21 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Peel and thinly slice. Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Add remaining ingredients; toss to combine. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 163 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as My Mama's Warm German Potato Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.