Potluck German Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled (about 10)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, just until tender, 12-15 minutes. Add celery and onion; continue cooking until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes longer. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk together next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice potatoes; return to large saucepan with celery and onions. Add vinegar mixture, tossing to combine. Add bacon. Simmer mixture until heated through, 10-12 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 194 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 15, 2019
I attend the local Octoberfest here in Indiana just to order two serving of their potato salad. With this recipe, I will not be going as much because it is deliscous! Thanks for posting....
Mar 27, 2018
Very good. I did have to add twice as much corn starch to get the sauce to thicken; otherwise it was too runny and I feared it would just run off the potatoes. It was not too vinegary as some German potato salads can be.
Sep 21, 2017
Kathy we tried your recipe tonight and it is very very Good. This is going in my Keeper Book