German-Style Mashed Potatoes
Comforting and filling, these tangy potatoes will warm up any meal, especially one with a German flair. They’re a fitting accompaniment to sausages like bratwurst. —Alena Horn, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add apples; cook 10 minutes longer or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onions until lightly browned.
- Drain potatoes and apples. Add sugar, vinegar and salt; mash slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with onions and bacon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 272 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 11, 2012
Made these today for hubby and myself! We love German foods and these are very good! The German potato salad taste shines through! We'll be cooking these up alot!!
Sep 5, 2010