Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion over medium heat until tender. Stir sauerkraut into potatoes; sprinkle with onion and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 266 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 828mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2015
I didn't care for this at all, taste and texture were not at all what I had wanted.
Nov 24, 2014
This was delicious. I made the recipe exactly to order. I will be making this for a Thanksgiving side dish. I will probably add sour cream and a little more salt. I will try to make it with actual potatoes too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. My husband LOVES it and our teenager and two year old actually ate it all up.
Oct 21, 2013
Had a version of this when visiting the Netherlands. They served with knockwurst (aka ring bologna).This is a great quick version if you do not have time for fresh mashed potatoes.Have served this with grilled bratwurst.Great side.
Jan 13, 2012
I was searching for a recipe to use some sauerkraut I had been given this past fall and thought this one looked very yummy! I tried it tonight and it was fantastic!! I did change things a bit, like all home cooks will. I used fresh mashed potatoes and added about 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of sour cream when mashing them. I also added the bacon with the sauerkraut when mixing into the mashed potatoes. I didn't use onions. Super Delish and I will make it again!! Thanks for the idea!! :)