Sauerkraut Hot Dish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown pork. Add onion and celery; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in sauerkraut, noodles, soup and mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 719mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Jan 5, 2020
I have not made this dish yet but the addition of sauted red bell pepper or even a drained jar of diced pimientos would give that pop of color. The idea of rice sounds more like the version I will do bug great base recipe. My crazy family does not like mushrooms like I LOVE mushrooms. lol.
Jan 22, 2018
Tasty recipe, but visually unappealing. Very, very beige! Given the ingredients, not sure what can improve how it looks. Because, as they say, you eat with your eyes.
Feb 10, 2012
This is so yummy! We only baked it for 1 hour (stirring after 30 minutes) and it was perfect.~ Theresa
Mar 15, 2010
Substitute wild and white (or brown rice) rice for the noodles. Yum!