Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
Makes8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add sauerkraut and tomato paste; mix well. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. If a thinner soup is desired, add additional water or chicken broth.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 257 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1167mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 17, 2019
I also add bay celery, some celery seeds, pepper, bay leaf, garlic, a couple cloves,caraway seeds, and use a can of crushed tomatoes instead of that 3rd can of chicken broth. Good stuff.
Dec 9, 2013
This soup is OK - Kinda bla for me - I probably wont make it again
Mar 6, 2013
This is a long time family favorite! I use my homemade sauerkraut and substitute my own canned tomato juice for the tomato paste and some of the chicken broth. Paired with fresh biscuits or homemade bread, it makes a wonderful meal.
Jun 9, 2012
I made this back when it was published in 1994. Pasted that issue on to others and I've searched for this recipe for years. I love this soup. I made my own chicken stock and didn't drain the saurerkraut and did add fresh ground pepper. AWESOME soup. I'm so glad I found this recipe. I know what's for supper.
Feb 16, 2012
This soup was just OK. It needed something. I added salt and pepper, crushed red pepper, brown sugar and carroway seeds which made it better. But if I decided to make it again, I think I would cut the amount of saurkraut in half.
Feb 2, 2011
We like pepper in our soups, so I added 1-2 teaspoons of pepper. Making it again tonight!
Oct 18, 2010
I didn't have a bit of trouble making this! I first made it 2 weeks ago. I prefer more of a tomato presence and I did add in a can of diced tomatoes. I loved it! As a matter of fact, I plan to make it again tomorrow. Already got all the stuff!! Yum!!
Feb 23, 2010
I have made this soup many, many times and everytime people ask for the recipe...its great!!!
Jan 27, 2010
i used all the ingredients on the list except i used only 3 potatoes. the recipe says to boil the broth and all the veggies for an half hr. i boiled it for 10 minutes knowing thats when the potatoes would be done. i added the sauerkraut and instantly there was no more broth. i didnt even get to the 2nd cooking stage and it was just a big blob of mush. i wont be making this again.