Sauerkraut Side Dish
Even those folks who say they don't like sauerkraut have told me that they like this recipe. I'm always on the lookout to add quick and easy recipes to my kitchen file, and that's one of the reasons why this dish is among my favorites.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional brown sugar, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the sauerkraut, apples, potato, broth, sugar, caraway and salt; mix well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples are tender. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 126 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 930mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Side Dish in Country Extra September 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.