Cold Sauerkraut Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimiento, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill overnight. Drain before serving. Serve as a side dish or use as a relish on hot dogs or sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 164 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 29, 2014
This is nearly identical to our old family recipe, except for slightly different proportions in the dressing. We use only one cup of sugar, and apple cider vinegar rather than the white wine kind. We also add 1/4 cup of water to the dressing to dilute & mellow out the vinegar a little. Also, this being "undrained" sauerkraut, we find the addition of more salt unnecessary. Either way you choose to make it, it's a delicious addition to any picnic or potluck. You can even fool people who say they don't like sauerkraut -- they'll think they're eating gourmet coleslaw. Oh, one final thing... refrigerate at least 8 hours, pour off excess juice and toss before serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.