German Sauerkraut Soup
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, cut into 1-inch slices
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook ribs in water until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Skim off foam. Remove ribs from broth; strain broth and skim fat.
- Return broth to the heat. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper; simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove meat from bones and add to broth with the sauerkraut and sausage.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Add to soup; cook 20-30 minutes longer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 325 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1041mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Feb 27, 2013
Absolutely Awesome!!!! Your mother was a good cook!! :)
Jan 24, 2012
I thought this was just so-so. My husband didn't care for it at all. I expected more flavor for the amount of work involved.
Mar 15, 2011
This is the best site for recipes! I have made this soup a number of times, sometimes omitting the ingred. I don't have, like ribs and bacon and it's still one of the most delicious soups I have made! Excellent!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.