German Sauerkraut Soup
Total TimePrep: 2 hours Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook ribs in water until tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Skim off foam. Remove ribs from broth; strain broth and skim fat.
- Return broth to the heat. Add the potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper; simmer until vegetables are tender. Remove meat from bones and add to broth with the sauerkraut and sausage.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Add to soup; cook 20-30 minutes longer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 325 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1041mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2013
Absolutely Awesome!!!! Your mother was a good cook!! :)
Jan 24, 2012
I thought this was just so-so. My husband didn't care for it at all. I expected more flavor for the amount of work involved.
Mar 15, 2011
This is the best site for recipes! I have made this soup a number of times, sometimes omitting the ingred. I don't have, like ribs and bacon and it's still one of the most delicious soups I have made! Excellent!