Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) shredded sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- Cooked wide egg noodles
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches. Transfer meat to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Place pickling spices and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with kitchen string. Add spice bag, 4 cups broth, onion, cabbage, ginger and cloves to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining broth and gingersnaps over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker; cook, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 hour longer. Discard spice bag. Serve with noodles.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 371 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1226mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Sep 26, 2019
This is wonderful and much easier than traditional sauerbraten. The first time I made this I followed the directions exactly. We thought it was a bit heavy on the stew beef; the second time I scaled back the meat by 8 oz and the proportions were more to our liking.
Jan 27, 2019
Very tasty soup for a cold wintery night. Made it as directed and served with noodles as suggested. Saving this to my recipe box.