Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked bratwurst links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 12 slices American cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble bratwurst with onion and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, jalapeno, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 468 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Jan 10, 2019
Jan 8, 2019
Made this exactly as listed, turned out great! Was a hit with the family. We’ll try it with different flavors of brats next.
Dec 18, 2018
Absolutely delicious! Didn't have Navy beans so used cannellini beans and a little more jalapenos as we love things spicy. Will definitely be making this often.
Nov 20, 2018
Made this Bratwurst Soup close to the listed recipe and it was good. I was surprised how creamy the soup was. Only modifications I made were I only had about 5 pickled jalapenos which I diced, didn't have navy beans, so I diced a small potato and par boiled it and a pinch of caraway seed which was added just prior to when the broth was added. I used deli sliced American Cheese.
Feb 3, 2018
It was GREAT !, Yes, I did alter it a bit. I reduced the pepper and added Tabisco - Chilpote flavor - 1/4 teaspoon.