Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Original Brats, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 12 slices process American cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble bratwurst with onion and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, jalapeno, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 468 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 20, 2018
Made this Bratwurst Soup close to the listed recipe and it was good. I was surprised how creamy the soup was. Only modifications I made were I only had about 5 pickled jalapenos which I diced, didn't have navy beans, so I diced a small potato and par boiled it and a pinch of caraway seed which was added just prior to when the broth was added. I used deli sliced American Cheese.
Feb 3, 2018
It was GREAT !, Yes, I did alter it a bit. I reduced the pepper and added Tabisco - Chilpote flavor - 1/4 teaspoon.