I came up with this recipe one day when I had some leftover bratwurst. It's been a favorite of my husband's ever since and is requested whenever the guys are hanging out. —Anna Miller, Churdan, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Original Brats, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 12 slices process American cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble bratwurst with onion and carrot over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, jalapeno, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 468 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Bratwurst Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.