Sauerkraut Pork Supper
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 2 cans (one 27 ounces, one 14 ounces), sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut in half widthwise and quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place half of the sauerkraut in a large roasting pan. Place pork roast over sauerkraut; top with remaining sauerkraut. Spoon tomatoes over top. Arrange the celery, carrots and onion around roast. Sprinkle brown sugar over tomatoes and sauerkraut. Add the parsley, bay leaves, oregano and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with pan juices. Discard bay leaves. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Jan 2, 2014
I will never make pork & sauerkraut any other way. It was so easy but most of all it was incredibly delicious. The tomatoes had a nice roasted flavor from sitting on top of the roast & The brown sugar most definately is key to this flavorful recipe. Wow!
Jan 6, 2011
It was very good and easy, but disappointed that I couldn't taste the sauerkraut.
Feb 3, 2010
I did all this in a slow cooker ans cooked on low for 10 hours and it fell apart. It was very good.
Jan 9, 2010
This recipe is awesome! When I made it the first time, I only had 1 can of sauerkraut, but it was perfect. It does not need 2 cans. The leftover kraut and vegetables make a wonderful soup with added both and canned, diced tomatoes and some seasoning. My husband could not figure out why this recipe with sauerkraut tasted better than any other he had ever eaten. It is because of the brown sugar. It takes away the tartness of the sauerkraut-but leaves the taste. I have used this with country style ribs as well as kielbasa. This was in one of my Taste of Home cookbooks.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.