Brat Sauerkraut Supper
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top with bratwurst. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with bacon.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 25, 2013
This dish is delicious and easy. I browned the brats first and cooked for 4-3/4 hrs in the crock, which was a bit too long. Would add a bit more potato, sausage and apple juice next time. Johnsonville has very flavorful brats. Will definitely make again.
Feb 24, 2012
made it half a dozen times, easy, and always a hit, i don't bother with the apple but everything else is the same..i use Johnsonville stadium brats, i like them best..i never liked sauerkraut til I had this..thanks!
Mar 30, 2011
This is sooooo good. Everyone in my family loves it, especially my husband. I make it often.
Feb 2, 2010
I used smoked turkey sausage and turkey bacon to make it healthier.
Oct 25, 2009
My family and friends have gotten to enjoy this dish many times. Its a great fall supper when the weather cools off, and its easy to make ahead for a crowd. Make too much, cause its even better as left-overs.