Brat Sauerkraut Supper
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Top with bratwurst. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with bacon.
Aug 25, 2013
This dish is delicious and easy. I browned the brats first and cooked for 4-3/4 hrs in the crock, which was a bit too long. Would add a bit more potato, sausage and apple juice next time. Johnsonville has very flavorful brats. Will definitely make again.
Feb 24, 2012
made it half a dozen times, easy, and always a hit, i don't bother with the apple but everything else is the same..i use Johnsonville stadium brats, i like them best..i never liked sauerkraut til I had this..thanks!
Mar 30, 2011
This is sooooo good. Everyone in my family loves it, especially my husband. I make it often.
Feb 2, 2010
I used smoked turkey sausage and turkey bacon to make it healthier.
Oct 25, 2009
My family and friends have gotten to enjoy this dish many times. Its a great fall supper when the weather cools off, and its easy to make ahead for a crowd. Make too much, cause its even better as left-overs.