Slow-Cooker German Bratwurst
I created this Old World favorite from a dish I had in my travels. This flavorful slow-cooker bratwurst recipe is perfect for weeknights or special occasions. I like to serve it with pasta. —Gerald Hetrick, Erie, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 pounds uncooked bratwurst links
- 3 bottles (12 ounces each) German-style beer or 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples (about 1-1/4 pounds), cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In batches, in a large nonstick skillet, brown bratwursts over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in sausage reads at least 160°.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 445 calories, 35g fat (12g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1424mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.