Slow-Cooker Sausage Lasagna
On especially cold winter days, my family loves this with mild Italian sausage. I agree about the cold days, but I prefer a spicy sausage blend, which gives it a bit of a zing. —Cindi DeClue, Anchorage, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 carton (15 ounces) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- Line sides of an oval 6-qt. slow cooker with heavy-duty foil; coat foil with cooking spray. In a Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up beef and sausage into crumbles; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, water and herbs; heat through.
- In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese. Spread 1-1/2 cups meat sauce onto bottom of prepared slow cooker. Layer with three noodles (breaking to fit), 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 cups meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until noodles are tender. Turn off slow cooker; remove insert. Let stand 15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 667 calories, 37g fat (17g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 1310mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Lasagna in tasteofhome.com