Simple Sparerib & Sauerkraut Supper
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 slices thick-sliced bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 pounds pork spareribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup beer
- Place the potatoes, onion, apple and bacon in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Drain sauerkraut, reserving 1/3 cup liquid; add sauerkraut and reserved liquid to slow cooker.
- Cut spareribs into serving-size portions; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown ribs in batches. Transfer to slow cooker; sprinkle with brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Add sausage; pour in beer. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until ribs are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 590 calories, 37g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 1285mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Feb 17, 2019
Was going to try this recipe but it appears to be missing an ingredient in the ingrediemts list. Where's the beer?
Aug 18, 2017
Made it. It was wonderful. I do not use any alcohol at all. I used just regular water. It was wonderful. Also, when I was growing up, my mother made this in the pressure cooker. That was delicious also. I will make this again.
Feb 14, 2016
Easy to make, good flavor. We used potatoes we had on hand, a different type apple, pre-cooked bacon and regular mild sausage and it still tasted fine. Just needs a salad or some colorful side veggies to brighten it up.
Nov 24, 2014
Attempting to make this recipe but not sure whether to use regular beer or lager. Anyone have an opinion?
Mar 19, 2014
This was a hit, I replaced the Polish sausage with our homemade brats. Ribs were tender, a perfect cold-weather mead..
Mar 12, 2013
I've prepared this several times already and love it. I use 2 cans of Bavarian Sauerkraut undrained and omit the caraway seeds.
Jan 6, 2013
This was hit. I do NOT like sauerkraut, but I found myself going back for seconds. Great recipe.
Nov 22, 2012
I made this as written, but without the sausage and with beef broth instead of beer. It was quick, easy, & delicious!
Sep 24, 2012
delicious and easy
Sep 22, 2012
Tastes nothing like I remember growing up but that's a good thing, this was delicious! I think the smoked sausage was the secret flavor,the spareribs were very tender. I wouldn't sub the fingerlings (which were hard to find) because they really held their shape. Wonderful plate presentation! Again, comfort food at it's best!