Bavarian Apple-Sausage Hash
This awesome recipe reflects my German roots. In the cooler months, nothing is as comforting as a hearty hash. Serve this versatile recipe as a side dish at a holiday meal or as a brunch entree over cheddar grits or topped with a fried egg. —Crystal Schlueter, Babbitt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 fully cooked apple chicken sausages or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add sausages, Brussels sprouts, apple and seasonings; saute until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 310 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Bavarian Harvest Apple Hash in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.