Bavarian Apple-Sausage Hash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 fully cooked apple chicken sausages or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add sausages, Brussels sprouts, apple and seasonings; saute until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar; cook and stir 2 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 310 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 3, 2018
Tasty, classic German flavors. The walnuts provide a nice crunch and there is a flavor difference using the Brussels sprouts versus the easier option of bagged, shredded cabbage. I used fully cooked turkey kielbasa, went heavy on the Brussels sprouts, omitted the caraway seeds (not a fan), and doubled the sauce. The suggested four servings are for this to be a side dish...no way as an entree unless you have very light eaters.
Nov 7, 2018
Worked great. I used a turkey sausage instead. Used balsamic vinegar since I didn’t have any cider vinegar at the time.