Kielbasa Hot Potato Slaw
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium red potatoes (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- In a small bowl, whisk the first 6 ingredients until smooth. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add kielbasa, potatoes, onion, red pepper and bacon; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until kielbasa is lightly browned.
- Add water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add coleslaw; cook, covered, 4-6 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 305 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1529mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Mar 12, 2020
Excellent! I followed this recipe exactly. The sauce is nicely balanced with the sweetness of the honey, the sour taste of the cider vinegar. The beef bouillon adds a nice amount of salt and death of flavor. I made sure the cabbage was a little undercooked, not mushy. This recipe is a keeper.
Mar 1, 2020
Too many flavors, seemed to overpower each other. I did make the recipe exact, but par boiled the potatoes before adding to pan. Also used 1/2 head of cabbage I had leftover. Sauce was good
Jan 13, 2020
We loved this recipe! The slaw ends up tasting more like kraut, with the vinegar and mustard. I left out the red pepper. Leftovers were delicious.
Oct 18, 2019
Some changes I made: I used 6 slices of bacon, then cooked the kielbasa, potatoes, etc. in the bacon grease instead of using vegetable oil. Also added extra salt, pepper and mustard. Served with mustard on top.
Jul 28, 2019
To us the recipe wasn't all the great. I won't fix it again.
Jul 17, 2019
The ingredients list is incomplete
Nov 14, 2018
This recipe won’t make it into our regular rotation. It wasn’t BAD, but it wasn’t good enough. Not sure if I will make it again, actually. I don’t know if the flavors just didn’t go well enough together for me or what. Doubled the recipe, which is 4 servings. No way the recipe as is would feed 4 people.
Oct 1, 2018
This was really good! I doubled the recipe except for the onion and didn't use bacon as my daughter doesn't like it. Everyone loved it including picky son. The cold leftovers were sooooo good the next day!
Sep 28, 2018
Great recipe followed the directions exactly . My husband loved it and he is very picky. Will make again
Sep 28, 2018
This was absolutely wonderful, which is a bad thing since I joined Weight Watchers. I bought the turkey kielbasa at Aldi, and because my smaller local Aldi doesn't carry slaw mix, I used their Southwest Salad mix minus the dressing because it has two kinds of cabbage as well as shredded carrots. If I'm in a hurry, I use a small package of Aldi's pre-cooked, crumbled bacon and add some saved bacon grease from when I have baked or fried bacon.