Spicy Kielbasa Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, cook kielbasa over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 194 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 12, 2018
Filling & so delicious. Immediate family favorite. I used homemade broth for chicken stock (no sugar/salt in my homemade stuff), used no salt tomatoes & beans as well. Could not believe the quality & taste of this soup. I don't even like soup & I plan on making it a couple times of month now.
Dec 1, 2017
We love this soup! Only real change that we make is that since we don't care for beans, I drop in some tortellini towards the end of the cooking time. Delicious!
May 4, 2016
Absolute favorite! I have made it several different ways, due to missing ingredients, but I must say it's great no matter how I "fudge" the recipe.
Mar 23, 2016
I loved this soup! Very hearty, but doesn't pack on the calories. It is high in sodium, so use low sodium when possible. I used a full pound of sausage, and it worked fine. Tasted better the next day when the flavors blended together.
Nov 19, 2014
I only got 1 bowl. The rest was gone in a blink of an eye. My family loved it. We left out the celery.
Nov 21, 2013
I increased to 3 celery ribs, 2 carrots, and one pound of smoked turkey kielbasa and I used low sodium tomatoes and beans; a very warming soup on a cold evening after working all day!
Apr 3, 2013
I was excited about this soup but after making it I did not like it. Not enough meat in the soup. My husband even refused to try it.
Mar 9, 2013
I accidentally used diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. Substituted 3 red potatoes for pepper & zucchini. It was quite tasty.
Nov 11, 2012
+ 2/3 cup barely last hour of cooking.
Nov 5, 2011
I found this recipe on a search to use up a bit of leftover kielbasa, and picked it because the other ingredients were readily on hand. I was incredibly surprised at how fantastic it turned out! This is a restaurant-quality soup, hearty and delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.