Spicy Kielbasa Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, cook kielbasa over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 192 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1210mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 20, 2019
Easy to prepare, quite tasty and filling!
Oct 2, 2019
Quite a tasty little soup!
Apr 12, 2018
Filling & so delicious. Immediate family favorite. I used homemade broth for chicken stock (no sugar/salt in my homemade stuff), used no salt tomatoes & beans as well. Could not believe the quality & taste of this soup. I don't even like soup & I plan on making it a couple times of month now.
Dec 1, 2017
We love this soup! Only real change that we make is that since we don't care for beans, I drop in some tortellini towards the end of the cooking time. Delicious!
May 4, 2016
Absolute favorite! I have made it several different ways, due to missing ingredients, but I must say it's great no matter how I "fudge" the recipe.
Mar 23, 2016
I loved this soup! Very hearty, but doesn't pack on the calories. It is high in sodium, so use low sodium when possible. I used a full pound of sausage, and it worked fine. Tasted better the next day when the flavors blended together.
Nov 19, 2014
I only got 1 bowl. The rest was gone in a blink of an eye. My family loved it. We left out the celery.
Nov 21, 2013
I increased to 3 celery ribs, 2 carrots, and one pound of smoked turkey kielbasa and I used low sodium tomatoes and beans; a very warming soup on a cold evening after working all day!
Apr 3, 2013
I was excited about this soup but after making it I did not like it. Not enough meat in the soup. My husband even refused to try it.
Mar 9, 2013
I accidentally used diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. Substituted 3 red potatoes for pepper & zucchini. It was quite tasty.