Kielbasa Cabbage Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan or nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add the potatoes, cabbage, onion, broth, 1/2 cup water, sugar, caraway and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and vinegar; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 322 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1143mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 22, 2019
This is really good. My usual cabbage dinner is boiled with kielbasa and boiled potatoes on the side. This is now my other way to eat cabbage. I love it. It’s easy to make with readily available ingredients. Sometimes I’ll add a dash of vinegar to my bowl but it’s just as good on its own.
Mar 3, 2019
My husband and I were not impressed with this dish. We thought it was just OK. It is easy to put together - I didn't even bother to peel the potatoes - and it is filling. I would cut back on both the sugar and the vinegar, but to be honest, I doubt I'll make this again.
Nov 16, 2017
This is a delicious, comforting stew. I used sweet potato instead of white because I needed to use it up. I used WONDRA flour so I omitted the water. I would make this again!
Aug 15, 2016
This is a recipe my family enjoys! It is a great take on a lazy cabbage roll stew. I love how quick and easy it is. I like to use white or black beans in place of the kidney beans.
Nov 18, 2014
Mar 27, 2012
I got this recipes years ago from a Taste of Home magazine. I absolutely love it! Misplaced the recipe, googled it and it came up - so excited to have it back. Delicious.
Oct 28, 2011
Excellent. 3 small potatoes = 1 lb. 2 c. = ½ small head of cabbage.
Feb 20, 2011
My family loved this recipe! There were no leftovers after the 4 of us adults ate...so good! Has a great german flavor.
Jul 1, 2010
Easy, fast & filling. Not to mention great taste!
Jan 13, 2010
We liked this stew but we made some changes. We used red beans,cut the sugar to 1 teaspoon, and added vinegar to taste starting at a teaspoon at a time. good