Pressure-Cooker English Pub Split Pea Soup
This family favorite is the same recipe my grandmother used. Now with the magic of today's appliances, I can spend 15 minutes putting it together, walk away for a bit and then it's "soup's on!" Finish it with more milk if you like your soup a bit thinner. —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + releasing
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer
- 1-1/3 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared English mustard
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place ham bone in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Add water, beer, peas, celery, carrot, onion and mustard. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 15 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Remove ham bone from soup. Cool slightly, trim away fat and remove meat from bone; discard fat and bone. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; return to pressure cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, top with additional minced parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 141 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
May 12, 2020
My family really liked this recipe! I doubled it because of the size of my family not realizing that it would take over an hour for the natural release. Will make again but now I know how to time the meal.