French Sweet Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup grated reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, melt butter. Add olive oil and onions. Cover and cook over low heat until onions are soft, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beef broth, water, cider or juice, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, arrange bread on a broiler pan; broil until each side is golden brown. Ladle soup into individual ovenproof soup bowls. Float a slice of bread in each bowl and sprinkle with Swiss cheese and top with Parmesan cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 256 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Jun 13, 2018
Quick and easy. No skimping on the onions in this recipe. I switched things up a wee bit in order to fit our tastebuds.I changed the water,broth and apple juice equations. I added more beef bouillon and reduced the amount of apple juice. An interesting ingredient. Most enjoyable and a nice change from my normal recipes.
Dec 25, 2012
Very tasty and easy to make. Would recommend trying.
May 16, 2012
I really enjoyed this and will make this again. I used 4 Cheese Italiano Light Shredded Cheese (Kraft) instead of the Swiss cheese and Weight Watcher's 100% whole wheat bread instead of french bread and it was still very good.
May 16, 2012
Really enjoyed this recipe. The apple juice gives it a great flavour. I used Kraft 4 Cheese Italiano light cheese instead of the light swiss cheese. I also used Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat bread to make it a little healthier. Yum!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.