French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), buttered and toasted
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large covered saucepan, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add water, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into six ovenproof bowls. Top each with a piece of French bread. Cut each slice of cheese in half and place over the bread. Broil until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 244 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1387mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 23, 2016
Really delicious and so simple to make.
Nov 11, 2015
I subbed beef stock (32oz) for bullion and used sweet onions!! Delish!!!
Sep 23, 2014
So good! Great for soothing the thought!
Sep 20, 2014
Not great. Way too much bouillon making it way too salty! Also, onions are not truly "French Onion soup" caramelized. There are a bunch of easy, better recipes out there. There is even a recipe for caramelizing onions in a crock pot for easy recipes, just stir every 30 to 45 minutes, no babysitting the onions.
Feb 18, 2014
I changed it for arthritis therapy reasons - used Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base, 4 garlic cloves, added a broccoli, cauliflower, carrot mixture, omitted the French Bread & cheese. It suits me, it's good.
Nov 21, 2013
This soup is easy and better than Panera's. Low calorie, I used crusty french baguettes instead of french bread.
Nov 7, 2013
Perfect for this cold weather
Apr 18, 2013
The soup is good but 1,387 mg of sodium (salt) is 1500 mg per day. I used low sodium beef broth which has 440 mg per 1 cup serving.
Mar 1, 2013
This is an easy and delicious recipe. I like to use a soup base rather than bouillon. Other than that followed recipe exactly and it turned out great. Will certainly be making this again especially for my granddaughter who loves french onion soup.
Oct 16, 2011
Excellent! This was the easiest French Onion Soup to make and so far my favorite. i made a half batch - instead of water & bouillon, i used a can of low sodium Campbell's beef broth plus a can of water (that made 3 cups).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.