French Onion Soup with Meatballs
I got the idea for how to make this soup after I went to a brewhouse restaurant that put ale in their gravy. I make this every time the weather starts to cool down in the fall—it's comfort food for the soul. —Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) pale ale or additional beef broth
- 18 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 12 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 9 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until onions are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Ladle soup into 6 broiler-safe 16-oz. ramekins. Top each with 3 slices of bread and 2 slices of cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.