French Onion Soup with Meatballs
I got the idea for how to make this soup after I went to a brewhouse restaurant that put ale in their gravy. I make this every time the weather starts to cool down in the fall—it's comfort food for the soul. —Crystal Holsinger, Surprise, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) pale ale or additional beef broth
- 18 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 12 slices Muenster or cheddar cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until onions are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Ladle soup into six broiler-safe 16-oz. ramekins. Top each with three slices of bread and two slices of cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from heat until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 403 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1760mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as FRENCH ONION ALE SOUP WITH MEATBALLS in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.