Classic French Onion Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours + broiling
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (about 3 ounces)
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets. Place one toast in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup soup with 2 slices bread and 1 tablespoon cheese: 195 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 16, 2018
This is by far the best french onion soup I have had. It is well worth the time spent carmelizing the onions which has to be done properly or the soup won't turn out as good. I carmelize 3lbs of onions (12 servings) and only use half the onions (6 servings) and freeze the other half. The frozen onions keep very well in the freezer for the next time you want to make it, and you will want to make it again. I also use shredded Guyere cheese which I think is the best cheese to use.
Apr 8, 2018
This is a great recipe! One of my favorite french onion recipes. I up the amount of port a little because I prefer the flavor.
Feb 25, 2018
I had a rare evening to myself so decided to make this. I'm so glad I did. I followed the recipe exactly. It took longer to caramelize the onions so I think the heat needs to be up just a little. The Port and garlic baguette really made it special.
Feb 22, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly and it is delicious! My family said it tastes like Grandma's soup that we used to have on Christmas Eve. Cooking the onions thoroughly and slowly is truly part of making the great flavor. I also used an inexpensive California port wine and that was an essential ingredient for flavor.
Feb 9, 2018
Why can't I give this more stars!!FABOLOUS!!!Do yourself a favor and double the recipe.
Feb 7, 2018
My husband told me after I made it that he doesn't like French Onion Soup. He loved this!
Feb 5, 2018
I cooked 1/2 the recipe and used Winking Owl California Marlot wine and WOW, everyone enjoyed it! Wish I had made the whole recipe because people wanted seconds..
Feb 4, 2018
This came out amazing! I used 3 lg. Spanish onions, 1 lg sweet onion, and 2 lg white onions. Added in 3/4 tsp sugar to try to get the caramelizing going....it took much longer than the recipe said, but was so worth it! Also added a bay leaf as it was caramelizing. The flavor is amazing! And I love that it's gluten-free!
Feb 1, 2018
I made this because my 9 year saw the picture on the cover of the latest issue and said it sounded good and wanted to try it. He didn't care for it, but man I sure did! It was delicious! I used provolone cheese on top and subbed extra broth for the port wine since I don't drink or keep alcohol in the house.
Jan 31, 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.