French Onion Casserole
Fans of French onion soup will gobble up this comforting casserole. The 30-minute side dish would be a nice accompaniment to beef entrees.—Margaret McClatchey, Loveland, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups salad croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Add croutons; toss to coat. Spoon over onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 205 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 27, 2018
This is essentially French Onion Soup without the soup. Very good, but very concentrated flavor without the liquid. I caramelized my onions and it is delicious, but be warned that the onions really shrink during caramelization.