French Onion Casserole
Fans of French onion soup will gobble up this comforting casserole. The 30-minute side dish would be a nice accompaniment to beef entrees.—Margaret McClatchey, Loveland, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 medium onions, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups salad croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Add croutons; toss to coat. Spoon over onion mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 205 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as French Onion Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.