Heavenly Onion Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium sweet Spanish onions, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 to 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 6 to 8 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. Place in a 11x7-in. baking dish or 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Combine the soup, milk and soy sauce; pour over cheese. Top with bread and cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Loosely cover with foil and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2012
This is so delicious!
Jun 16, 2012
I initially got this recipe from Southern Living and it's always a winner. Excellent with steaks! A must try.
Jan 23, 2010
My family perks up immediately when they see this casserole on the table. I have served it with just about every meat dish in my repertoire.