Refrigerated crescent dough creates a flaky crust for these savory squares. Moist and golden, servings make a comforting change from potatoes. &mdash Anneliese Deising, Plymouth, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain bacon and discard pan drippings. In the same skillet, cook onions in butter until tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, flour and salt; add eggs. Stir in the bacon and onions; set aside.
- Separate crescent roll dough into four rectangles. Pat dough onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. square baking pan, stretching as needed. Pinch edges together to seal. Pour onion mixture over dough.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until the topping is set and crust is golden. Cool slightly before cutting into small squares. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 144 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Onion Cake in Reminisce September/October 1993