Vegan French Onion Soup
This vegan French onion soup uses a few unconventional ingredients to create umami. If you cook vegan foods regularly, keep a jar of dried mushrooms in your pantry and add to soups, stocks and casseroles to add a savory, earthy note to your dishes. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dried shiitake mushrooms (1/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup pinot noir
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/2 cups shredded dairy-free mozzarella-flavored cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Uncover and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets; place 2 toasts in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 218 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.