Vegan French Onion Soup
This vegan French onion soup uses a few unconventional ingredients to create umami. If you cook vegan foods regularly, keep a jar of dried mushrooms in your pantry and add to soups, stocks and casseroles to add a savory, earthy note to your dishes. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dried shiitake mushrooms (1/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup pinot noir
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1-1/2 cups shredded dairy-free mozzarella-flavored cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Uncover and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets; place 2 toasts in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 218 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Soupe a l'Oignon au Fromage (French Onion Soup) in Fast Track 2019