Warm and comforting, this delicious soup makes a pretty presentation. Easy to prepare, it's a treat to serve for family dinners and special enough for guests. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound medium carrots
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Set aside 1 carrot; chop remaining carrots. Add chopped carrots, parsnips and stock to onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return soup to pan; keep warm. Using a vegetable peeler, shave carrot lengthwise into very thin strips. In a small saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Fry carrot strips 2-3 minutes or until crispy, stirring occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- Gently reheat soup; stir in cream. Divide soup among four bowls. Top with carrot strips and, if desired, chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 241 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Carrot-Parsnip Bisque with Crispy Carrot Strips in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017