Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Place parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and place parsnips in a large bowl; mash. Stir in the onion, flour, egg and chives.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 159 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 23, 2013
This was my first time trying parsnips. I think it must be an acquired taste. I still haven't decided if I will make again.
May 7, 2011
Made this last year, forgot to review... Made again tonight and it's definately a keeper. I don't know what 6 servings is, but with the 1/4 cup measure, it made 11 pancakes
Aug 2, 2009
These are the absolute best! I have made them again and again. I have a friend whose favorite veggie is parsnips and this is a great change instead of just boiled with a slathering of butter. I would really recommend you try them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.