Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Place parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and place parsnips in a large bowl; mash. Stir in the onion, flour, egg and chives.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 159 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 23, 2013
This was my first time trying parsnips. I think it must be an acquired taste. I still haven't decided if I will make again.
May 7, 2011
Made this last year, forgot to review... Made again tonight and it's definately a keeper. I don't know what 6 servings is, but with the 1/4 cup measure, it made 11 pancakes
Aug 2, 2009
These are the absolute best! I have made them again and again. I have a friend whose favorite veggie is parsnips and this is a great change instead of just boiled with a slathering of butter. I would really recommend you try them!