Carrot-Cranberry Spice Cake
I love carrot cake and those made with cranberries. Using leftover cranberry sauce, I add carrots to make one marvelous cake that’s tangy and sweet. —Elizabeth King, Duluth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil and cranberry sauce until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into cranberry mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Editor’s Note: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 358 calories, 15g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Carrot Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015