Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine the nuts, candied fruit, dates, raisins. Add 1/2 cup flour; toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mix the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until smooth. (Batter will be stiff.) Fold in carrots and nut mixture. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 75-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 565 calories, 29g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2019
Dec 10, 2017
This is a very good fruitcake. I made loves for gifts instead of bundt pan and got 2 9x5 loaves and 4 mini loaves! Be careful if you have a little dog who likes to climb on tables, though--our little one ate one mini loaf and part of a big one while they were cooling on the table. Don't know if he shared any with his brother. Won't make that mistake again
May 8, 2017
I have given this for gifts during the holiday season and everyone loves it!
Jan 5, 2014
I prepared this recipe 1/5/14 for the first time-it was in my First Edition of TOH Crate o'Recipes ! I did make adjustments on this recipe-but for the most part, I found it a very simple cake to prepare! I added 1-1/2 Tbsp. ground Navel orange since I had about that amount left & I did use 2 tsp. vanilla extract after beating the eggs into the sugar-oil mixture! I added the eggs after creaming the sugar & oil together at 1 time-for me that worked well! I just used 1 cup of chopped pecans/walnuts mixed together! Instead of chopped dates, I used 1/2 green and 1/2 red candied cherries to make 1 cup! I used a combination of shredded carrots/unpeeled apple (Royal Gala or Fuji or Granny Smith type apple) to equal 3 cups! I baked cake for 70 to 80 minutes-I purposely timed the cake for 70 minutes to see how the baking time will work for me! I also found the batter NOT stiff-it was easy to pour into the pan! (I did have a round10" tube pan from waaaaaay back which I'd brought with me to my Burbridge Rd. home ! This pan I put to use today for this cake! (That was the first tube pan I acquired before I purchased MORE tube pans & Bundt pans! I'd also acquired 2 fluted Bundt pans from my previous home & brought them to Hatboro!) I'm hoping that this recipe turns out-it's very similar to a carrot cake I've baked before! Thank you, Ann Parden, for this recipe! This JUST might be the cake to use if I ever want to bake a carrot fruitcake again-combining carrots with candied fruit IS a very creative way to use up carrots and dress up a carrot cake! The cake came out beautifully! It turned out easily from the tube pan & wasn't overbaked! I just baked the cake 70 minutes! I used a cake tester and for me that worked-it came out clean! I cooled cake 15 minutes before turning cake out of pan & ran a knife around edges to loosen cake from pan! delowenstein
Apr 7, 2013
The best fruitcake ever,my husband and I ate this cake in one week.Today i'm making one for my sister as a care package as she loves carrot cake,but this one definately my favorite.This one is 5star keeper.Instead of the mixed candied fruit i used sultanas or candied pineapple.DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!