Classic Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a large bowl, beat eggs, carrots, sugars, oil, drained pineapple and reserved juice until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into carrot mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 555 calories, 34g fat (10g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 11, 2019
The whole family loved it! Even my picky son gave it a 9.5 out of ten rating! I will definitely use it again!
Mar 2, 2018
I made this for one of the DD folks I work with. Made it Tuesday night for a birthday on Wednesday. When my Wednesday graveyard shift started I went to get a piece and there was one tiny sliver of cake left. The boys were in heaven and so was the stafff
Aug 19, 2017
I would give this recipe 10 STARS if I could. It was so Good! I added 1/2 cup raisins.
Feb 1, 2017
I added raisins to the batter with the walnuts it was so delicious! I did however, have trouble getting it to set in the middle. Once it finally set in the middle the corners and bottom were a little over done. The icing is just wonderful! It is not overly sweet, in my opinion carrot cake isn't supposed to have a super sweet icing. This was just perfect!!
Jan 20, 2017
Only change was pecans for walnuts because I have pecans. This cake is so good I sent half of it to work with my nephew to keep us from pigging out. Moist, tender, good balance of sweet and spice. Definite keeper.
Oct 30, 2016
I tried this recipe last night, and it fell apart. Again, I tried it today and made three cakes. They all fell apart as well. The taste is wonderful, but this recipe needs to be tweeked a little bit before you have it showing on google so close to the top.
Apr 17, 2016
I am making this cake the second time in two weeks! I've got out of town guest coming and I can't think of a dessert they would like more. This is the best carrot cake ever! With a few more folks in the house, I don't have to worry about eating the whole thing all by myself.
Apr 13, 2016
Made this today. SO delicious! Could eat the whole pan. Discovered I had less than a tsp of cinnamon. Substituted pumpkin pie spice. Otherwise followed the recipe
Mar 28, 2016
Made this cake for Easter. It is very good, moist and dense, and the frosting is just sweet enough and a little tangy. It only needed to bake 30 minutes in my oven. I used pecans vs. walnuts (we have a pecan tree) and changed the 2 tsp of cinnamon to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon plus 1/2 tsp mace; otherwise, made per the recipe.
Mar 9, 2016
Just made this and if I could give it more stars I would. This is delicious. I could have eaten the entire cake. Followed the recipe exactly and can't find a thing bad about it.