Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Orange and green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in another large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Reserve 1/2 cup frosting for decorating if desired. If desired, stir walnuts into remaining frosting.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. If decorating the cake, tint 1/4 cup reserved frosting orange and 1/4 cup green. Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert #7 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with orange frosting. Pipe twelve carrots on top of cake, so each slice will have a carrot. Using #67 leaf pastry tip and the green frosting, pipe a leaf at the top of each carrot.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 531 calories, 28g fat (7g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 10, 2020
DO NOT ADD MILK TO THE FROSTING. It makes it way to thin. For me it ruined the entire batch of frosting. It baffles me why the recipe says to add milk because without it the consistency would be perfect.
Jan 4, 2020
I make a carrot cake that everyone loves esp. the frosting. I find most cream cheese frostings sickening sweet. For the cake I would cut the sugar to 1
Nov 29, 2019
This was my first time making a carrot cake and it was a hit! People who didn't like carrot cake said it was the best they've had, people who did were raving about it, it was awesome.
Oct 27, 2019
I am new to baking, will this turn out okay if I bake it in a high baking pan and then cut the cake in half ? I understand cutting in half will be tricky but I only have baking pana that are higher and narrow.
Oct 12, 2019
I only made the frosting... Reduced the sugar by one cup, increased the cream cheese by 1 oz, and substituted table cream for the milk. In my opinion those changes made it awesome.
Oct 6, 2019
Aug 17, 2019
This cake is easy to make but once cooked it was super dry would recommend to use a little more oil to this recipe
Apr 18, 2019
I love this cake and make it all the time. Brought it to work once and the whole thing was gone
Apr 8, 2019
I didn't change a thing! This carrot cake is perfection!
Mar 7, 2019
Best carrot cake I have made. Very moist and delicious! I doubled the amount of frosting and found that to be just about enough.