Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
I love to serve lighter desserts that will satisfy those with a sweet tooth. I make these every Christmas Eve, but they're marvelous any time of the year. —Sara Pleso, Sparta Tennessee.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually beat into brown sugar mixture. Stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread over cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 229 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Healthy Carrot Cupcakes in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016